Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

First published in 1886, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is one of Robert Louis Stevenson's most famous works.

Gabriel Utterson is the executor of Dr Henry Jekyll's will. In his will, Jekyll has bequeathed his assets to his friend, Edward Hyde. While walking with another lawyer, Utterson hears of a despicable act carried out by Hyde. Utterson investigates further.

I didn't include spoilers in my plot summary but the ubiquitous references to it in pop culture will probably have ruined it for you anyway. If this were the Victorian Era, the ending would be shocking. Since we all know he ending, the climax is not exciting. 

I will tell you that Jekyll represents good and Hyde represents evil, making them foils. However, there are not enough good acts to establish Jekyll as good, and Hyde's crimes aren't that evil. I wish there were more support for the characters' personalities. 

The last chapter sums up the mystery in a letter written by Jekyll. The novella ends with the letter. It would make sense to have some closure and reactions after the mystery is solved. Truly, though, this doesn't bother me, because I was not invested in Stevenson's underdeveloped characters. 

Stevenson's writing is straightforward but disconnected and dry, making this an unenjoyable read. 

Overall, I liked the theme (which I can't reveal) of Jekyll and Hyde, but many elements of the work are half-baked. I rate this book two out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment