Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Published in 2012, Gone Girl is Gillian Flynn's third novel. It's gotten a surge in popularity due to the recent release of the film adaptation. 

Nick Dunne and Amy Elliott meet in New York City. They marry and move to Missouri so that Nick can be closer to his dying mother. This is where Amy disappears.
I won't share any more of the plot -- I'd spoil it otherwise. 

This book is told in a really interesting way. Each chapter alternates the points of view of Nick and Amy, both told in first person. I enjoyed this because, over time, you can really see how both Nick and Amy morph into different people.

Flynn's writing is addictive. She ends each chapter with a brilliantly captivating sentence which begs you to turn the page and read on. 

My only negative criticism is about the novel's length. It was too long because there were a lot of unnecessary details which bloated the book to 432 pages.  

The book's plot is like a tightly woven rope, its unraveling catalyzed by Amy's disappearance. While I enjoyed the book greatly, I wish it were shorter. Four out of five stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment